[openstack-dev] [Nova] The unbearable lightness of specs

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 16:33:52 UTC 2015

On 06/25/2015 05:39 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> On 25/06/15 09:49, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
>> Maxim Nestratov wrote:

>>> Absolutely agree. There is no use in waiting for another cycle to start
>>> if you missed deadline for your spec in current cycle. Why not to review
>>> specs and approve them setting next release cycle milestone and allow
>>> people to start coding and get code review for next release cycle?
>>
>> I totally agree that there is no reason to tie specs drafting, review &
>> approval to the development cycle. In fact, most project teams don't.
>>
>> Now, Michael's example is a bit unrealistic -- cross-project specs
>> aren't tied to release cycle at all, and you can certainly work on them
>> during the 4 weeks of feature freeze or 4 weeks of pre-summit roadmap
>> planning.
>>
>> I would even argue that those 8 weeks are the ideal time to draft and
>> get early reviews on a spec : you can use the design summit at the end
>> of them to close the deal if it still needs discussion, and start
>> working on code the week after.
>
> The operator community has also been generally positive on the specs
> process. It has allowed a possibility for people without python skills to
> give input on the overall approach being taken rather than needing to
> review code. The approach, after all, from an operator mid cycle meetup
> (blueprints on blueprints) combined with the nova specs proposal.
>
> I’ve certainly had a few specs where the approach needed in-depth
> discussion (one I remember clearly was the re-assign a project spec) and
> to have waited till the code was written would have been a waste.

No doubt doing design prior to coding is extremely useful in a lot of
cases, and having documents/artifacts of that process in a well-known
place. Some problems don't need that much of design outside of code
itself though.

This is what I was referring to elsewhere on the thread when I said we
are coupling together the process of designing a feature with it's
approval for a release and release planning etc. and then blanket apply
it to everything that resembles a feature.

> One of the problems that I’ve seen is with specs etiquette where people -1
> because they have a question. This is a question of education rather than
> a fundamental issue with the process.

It's not only about education - I think Gerrit is the wrong medium to
have a design discussion and do design work. Maybe you disagree as you
seem to imply that it worked well in some cases?

I've recently seen on more than a few cases how a spec "review" can
easily spiral into a collection of random comments that are hard to put
together in a coherent discussion that you could call design work.

If you throw in the expectation of approval into the mix, I think it
basically causes the opposite of good design collaboration to happen.

N.