[openstack-dev] [api] [Nova] [Ironic] [Magnum] Microversion guideline in API-WG

Dmitry Tantsur divius.inside at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 06:43:15 UTC 2015

26 июня 2015 г. 2:47 пользователь "GHANSHYAM MANN" <ghanshyammann at gmail.com>

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html

> > Right now we lack a means to express that the API response is
> > "compatible-with" a particular previously-released version of the API.
If we
> > had that, instead of "current-version", I believe we would have much
happier
> > users (and a happier Dmitry and jroll).
> >

> > Long version...
> > Every HTTP response from Ironic today includes three headers: min, max,
and
> > version. The service can present an older API version, as long as it is
> > greater-than-or-equal-to the minimum supported version, even if that
version
> > is incompatible with the maximum supported version.  It does this by
> > rewriting responses to match what was expected in the requested (older)
> > version.
> >
> > When the newer version is identical *for all interfaces present* in the
> > older version, this can be called compatible. Dmitry's point is that we
> > don't need to hide newer interfaces from users who request an older API
> > version, because the client won't know or care about things that
weren't in
> > the version it requested.
> >
> > However, we *do* need to signal their presence, and we don't have a good
> > means for that right now. We also need to signal to the client that the
> > response given is "compatible with" a certain "age" of API, even if
it's not
> > exactly the same. And we don't have any means for that, either.
> >
> > Time for an example....
> >
> > Let's say that an incompatible change was made in v1.3. Let's also say
that
> > a change was made in v1.5 that added a new endpoint. Today, this is
what the
> > response headers would look like when calling a server running v1.5.
> >
> > a) client requests v1.2, receives headers (min: 1.1, max: 1.5, current:
1.2)
> > b) client requests v1.4, receives headers (min: 1.1, max: 1.5, current
1.4)
> > c) client requests v1.5, receives headers (min: 1.1, max: 1.5, current:
1.5)

> > What we have implemented today is that in case (b), the service will
*hide*
> > any changes that we introduced in v1.5. But those changes did not
affect any
> > functionality of the v1.4 API, so Dmitry objects to this. So do I.
> >
> > The issue at hand is the response in case (b) ... though after spending
the
> > last several months working on api versioning, I actually think all of
those
> > are poor responses.
> >
> > What I believe we should have:
> > a) client requests v1.2, receives headers (min: 1.1, max: 1.5,
> > compatible-with: 1.1)
> > b) client requests v1.4, receives headers  (min: 1.1, max: 1.5,
> > compatible-with: 1.3)
> > b) client requests v1.5, receives headers  (min: 1.1, max: 1.5,
> > compatible-with: 1.3)
> >

> This is nice idea to return "compatible-with" information. But I feel
> each microversion either backward compatible or not should have their
> unique output only for what they had been introduced (not include new
> version changes).

Sigh. Please provide some justification.

> If older version shows what is in newer version(backward comp) then,
> there is no meaning
> of introducing those compatible changes as microversion. And if so
> then it blank out whole
> idea of publishing changes/features through microversion even they are
> backward compatible.

The main reason for versioning is feature discovery. It had nothing to do
with feature hiding. Please read the whole thread to see why feature hiding
is actually harmful.

> How about combining those means older version do not include anything
> from newer version
> but it returns "compatible-with:" information also which can be useful
> for user to bump version easily.
>
> > Yes -- (b) and (c) are identical responses.
> >
> > Discuss.
> >
> > -Devananda
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 7:13 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com>
wrote:

> >> Thanks Jim, much appreciated!

> >> "You know" is about #2 - that's where confusion is :)
> >> so if you know, that moving to inspection state is disallowed for your
> >> tooling (but not for the whole system!), what does it give you?

> >> It's not that painful to write. Now. When we have 10-20 version, it
> >> probably will :)
> >> anyway, it's hard to explain newcomers how to do it, and it's hard to
> >> review the result. we failed at it, e.g. with error codes.

API-exposed
driver_internal_info

MANAGEABLE).

> >> What's the point in contract, if there are things not covered by it
that
> >> drastically change the system behavior?

> >> ditto as above: you can request new features by modifying driver_info.

> >> ++ but not everyone agreed on the summit, when I was talking about
> >> ENROLL state

> >> It's not that bad, especially if devstack/tripleo will provide some
> >> reasonable default for you.
> >>
> >> I remember, however, Devananda didn't like the idea.
> >>
> >> And it definitely makes a quick start guide a bit harder to follow. I
> >> already imagine how many people will forget about this pinning (either
> >> to do it, or do update when they need new features).

> >> Could be a good default for devstack btw

Ironic

Even

https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/master/ironic/api/controllers/v1/__init__.py#L59-63

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/188873/1/ironic/api/controllers/v1/node.py