[openstack-dev] [nova] import OVA/OVF into openstack

Radoslav Gerganov rgerganov at vmware.com
Thu Jun 25 13:43:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 06/24/2015 11:19 PM, Xingjun Chu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if I should send this to glance or nova project,  anyways ...
>
> As far as I know, Openstack today does not support OVA/OVF image
> natively (correct me if I were wrong).  I am wondering if there is any
> plan to support them?
>
> Also Any recommendations for now to migrate OVA/OVF into openstack is
> greatly appreciated...

OVA is supported if you use the VMware driver in Nova.  The image needs
to be imported in Glance like this:

glance image-create --property vmware_disktype="streamOptimized"
--property vmware_adaptertype="ide" --name foo --container-format ova
--disk-format vmdk

The support for this has been added in Kilo with this commit:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/53abbc3b479195812e962b6fb7785022af3aeca0

Let me know if you need more info on this.

-Rado