[openstack-dev] [Nova] The unbearable lightness of specs

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Jun 25 13:37:59 UTC 2015

On 06/24/2015 04:41 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> We currently have the fast track process, where if a spec was
> previously approved we will quickly re-approve it. (I do a git diff
> between the previous version and make sure the diff is trivial). By
> my count in liberty we successfully used this procedure around 14
> times. So yes things do magically become unapproved on a somewhat
> random date, but I don't think this is realistically a major pain
> point. (Side note we were able to approve a lot of those specs
> before the summit).

That may be true, but it certainly doesn't jibe with the experiences
of many spec authors. And even if it did work flawlessly, it
represents extra work for zero benefit.

> Secondly nova is moves fast. For example in Kilo we had: 4752
> files changed, 299,275 insertions(+), 309,689 deletions(-) [0].
> What is amazing about this is nova kilo only had 251,965 lines [1].
> So specs that we approved 6 months ago are often not valid anymore,
> I have seen this happen time and time again.

Specs are about general direction, with some specifics on
implementation. Sure, things change, and a previously valid spec might
no longer be valid, but that would certainly be caught in the code
review, no? I don't think that most developers operate in a vacuum,
and if the part of the code they are working on is changing that
radically, they will certainly notice the merge conflicts at the very
least. :)

John Garbutt gave the example in a different reply of the closing of
changes to the v2 API in Kilo. That's a perfect example of why a spec
should *not* be invalidated. If a the implementation of a
previously-approved spec tried to modify the v2 API, that would
certainly be caught in code review, and the developer would have to
address that change via a microversion instead. The change itself is
still valid, but the means of implementing it might have to be updated.

- --

- -- Ed Leafe