[openstack-dev] [Nova][Keystone] The unbearable lightness of specs

Thu Jun 25 01:30:06 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 17:25 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:52:37AM -0400, Adam Young wrote:
> > On 06/24/2015 06:28 AM, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
> > >Gerrit and our spec template are a horrible tool for
> > >discussing design.
> > This is the heart of the problem.
> >

> > I think that a proper RFE description in the bug tracker is the best place
> > to start.  Not a design of the solution, but a statement of the problem.
> >
> > Then, the rest of the discussion should take place in the code. Keystoen has
> > the Docs right in the code, as do, I think, every other project.  Don't sign
> > off on a patch for a major feature unless the docs have been updated to
> > explain that feature.  It will keep us from bike shedding about Database
> > schemas.
>
> What you are describing is sounds like the situation that existed before
> the specs concept was introduced. We had a statement of problem in the
> blueprint, and then people argued over the design in the code reviews.
> It really didn't work at all - code reviews are too late in the workflow
> to start discussions around the design, as people are already invested
> in dev work at that point and get very upset when you then tell them
> to throw away their work. Which happened repeatedly. You could say that
> the first patch submitted to the code repository should simply be a doc
> file addition, that describes the feature proposal and we should discuss
> that before then submitting code patches, but then that's essentially
> just the specs again, but with the spec doc in the main nova.git instead
> of nova-specs.git.

I don't think you meant this as a don't do it, just an experience point:
you're saying *we* couldn't make the process work, but that doesn't mean
that the process itself (specless code reviews) can't be made to work.
It works fine for a lot of open source projects, so the process must be
workable.  However, what the experience has shown is that there's a
bottleneck which isn't removed simply by removing the spec process.

On the spec question, the reason projects like the Linux Kernel are so
code driven is that with code it's harder to block a submission on
esoteric grounds, whereas with no code it is easier to argue endlessly
about minutiae.  I think this might be the reason for the "lightness"
Nikola complains about: the less you put in a spec, the less reason
people have to weigh in on it and delay its approval.  Perhaps an
appropriate question is: "is that fear well founded or just anecdotal?"

If I look at what the above says about the main issue that doesn't get
solved by removing the spec process, it's review pressure: how do you
increase the throughput of approval/rejection.  Note I didn't advocate
more reviews: The metric for success should be time to resolution
(accept/reject), not the number of reviews, if we ask everyone to double
their time spent reviewing and the net result of this is that the
average number of reviews to resolution doubles, nothing is gained.  So
perhaps it's time to actually measure the number of reviews to
resolution and look at ways to reduce this metric.  That will make the
available current review bandwidth go further and reduce the time to
actual resolution without anyone having to do more work.  The low
hanging fruit in this might be the obvious patches: obvious accept
(simple bug fix) or obvious reject (bogus code) should go through after
one review: do they?  Perhaps one other is wasting core time: after a
couple of failed reviews by people who could +2 the thing, is it time to
reject?  And perhaps, finally, there should be a maximum number of
reviews before an automatic reject?

Sorry for derailing the argument, but I do still see review bandwidth as
a key issue behind all the problems.

James