[openstack-dev] [grenade] future direction on partial upgrade support

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 17:54:47 UTC 2015

On 06/24/2015 01:49 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> If multi-node isn't reliable more generally yet, do you think the
>> simpler implementation of partial-upgrade testing could proceed?  I've
>> already done all of the patches to do it for Neutron.  That way we could
>> quickly get something in place to help block regressions and work on the
>> longer-term multinode refactoring without as much time pressure.
>
> I was going to ask the same about the (arguably MUUCH tinier) patch to
> include nova-net in the nova-compute partial upgrade bin.
>
> I know the right answer is working on the multinode job, but fixing that
> and then extending grenade to work that way is a significant amount of
> work. The fact that we're not testing nova-net with nova-compute
> properly right now and claiming we're safe is just lying to ourselves.

Yeah, that's certainly a tiny change.  There are several Neutron
patches, but they're all pretty simple IMO.

I picked up this task to help with the Neutron and nova-network parity
work.  It tests the backend that isn't even my primary focus/interest,
but I still wanted to help the parity work along.  If it ends up
requiring this significant extra work, I'll honestly most likely just
drop it completely and hope someone else feels like taking it on.

--
Russell Bryant