[openstack-dev] [devstack] apache wsgi application support

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 11:57:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Sean Dague wrote:

> So on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/194442 ... I was kind of thinking
> we'd be able to get keystone-wsgi-public into a bin directory. I put up
> a half baked sketch of this idea in
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/195044. Would be curious if some
> version of that could be made to work here.

I remain somewhat confused on why you want this?

It's a fairly common convention for the module which has the wsgi
'application' global to live somewhere in the "web tree" (/var/www/ etc)
or just some random location that is referenced from the hosting server.

Putting in */bin doesn't has some risk of confusion because you
shouldn't really run the wsgi script in any normal sense of the word
(from the command line, from cron, whatever). If you've set your
wsgi app up so that is possible then you're conflating purposes and
that's bad mojo. Your patch has exceptions to watch out for that,
but it seems...crufty?

If the primary reason is so that we can rely on the console_scripts
entry point to handle getting the application somewhere useful then
that too feels a bit crufty, in the sense of "that's a hack".

That may be perfectly reasonable stuff to do given the constraints
and lack of other options but I thought I would check in.

(I happen to be working on making this a reality for gnocchi's
devstack plugin at the moment and your message popped up at exactly
the moment when I needed a reference to in progress reviews on this
topic. Thanks.)

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent