[openstack-dev] [neutron] dns-nameservers order not honored

Paul Ward wpward at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 23 18:48:27 UTC 2015

I haven't dug into the code yet, but from testing via CLI and REST API,
it appears neutron does not honor the order in which users specify their
dns-nameservers.  For example, no matter what order I specify 10.0.0.1
and 10.0.0.2 for dns-nameservers, they are always ordered with the
numerically lowest IP first when doing a subnet-show (ie, 10.0.0.1 will
be first, even if I specified 10.0.0.2 first).  As stated above, CLI and
REST API behave the same.

I believe this is a problem because these are passed to activation on a
deployed VM in the order neutron lists them in the subnet.  A user may
have a reason they want the numerically higher DNS IP listed first, say
if they are trying to load balance their DNS servers.  By always
ordering them numerically, we give them no way to do this.

So my question is... is this by design or an oversight?  If it's an
oversight, I'll dig into the code and propose a patch.