[openstack-dev] [all] [qpid] [zmq] [RabbitMQ] [oslo] Pending deprecation of driver(s).

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:52:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:27 PM Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/20/2015 10:28 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> >>

> > As promissed: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/193804/
> >
> > Cheers,
> You can't deprecate a driver without providing a viable alternative.
>
> Right now, QPID is the only driver that supports  Kerberos.
>
> TO support Kerberos, tyou need support for the GSSAPI library, which is
> usually done via support for SASL.  Why is it so convoluted...historical...
>
> We've talked with both teams (I work with Ken) and I think Proton is
> likely going to be the first to have support.  The folks working on
> Rabbit have the double hurdle of getting SASL support into Erlang first,
> and then support for SASL into Rabbit. They've indicated a preference
> for getting it in to the AMQP 1.0 driver, and not bothering with the
> exisiting, but, check me on this, the Oso.Messaging  code only support
> the pre 1.0 Rabbit.
>

> So..until we have a viable alternative, please leave QPID alone. I've
> not been bothering people about it, as there seems to be work to get
> ahead, but until either Rabbit or  Proton support Kerberos, I need QPID
> as is.

Re: proton - Kerberos support is in progress upstream [0],[1], but as you
point out it's not yet available.  That blocks kerberos support for the
amqp1.0 driver.

Once proton does release that, and the amqp1.0 driver adopts it, you'll be
able to migrate to the amqp1.0 driver and continue to work with the QPID
broker (as long as the version of the QPID broker supports AMQP 1.0).

That doesn't help you now, but it is something to plan for.

[0]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-334
[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-911