[openstack-dev] [puppet] Clarification of 'Puppet Modules' Project Scope

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 21:51:22 UTC 2015

Hi Richard,

On 06/22/2015 01:05 PM, Richard Raseley wrote:
> I am currently hoping to build consensus (or seek clarity if I am the
> only one with this question) about the appropriate scope for our 'Puppet
> Modules' project.
>
> The question in my mind is if we:
>
> A) Only include those modules which represent a 1:1 mapping with other
> OpenStack projects.
>
> B) Also include those modules which provide 'supporting' infrastructure
> to OpenStack components.
>
> To be totally transparent, this came to mind for me because I am
> currently working with the folks at Midokura to publish a module which
> can be used to configure their open source Midonet SDN for Neutron and I
> was contemplating whether or not it would be reasonable to be part of
> the project.

I see two options here:

#1 you create the repository outside Stackforge & OpennStack, on your
own repo or in Midokura namespace.

#2 you create the repository on Stackforge (like puppet-ceph) but Puppet
OpenStack group won't officially support it for the simple reason it's
not an OpenStack project or a dependency to deploy it.

I would be against having puppet-midonet part of OpenStack namespace
though for the same reasons it could be on Stackforge.

I have a preference for #1 since IMHO it makes more sense for Midokura
to have their Puppet module close to their code but I would not be
against having it on Stackforge.

> FWIW, we have carried over the 'puppet-vswitch' repository over with us
> as part of the move (which would align with option B), but I didn't want
> to assume that was intended to be precedent setting.

If you look at contributors [1], the history shows that this module has
been written by people working on Puppet OpenStack modules and it made
sense to have this repository on Stackforge to benefit of OpenStack
integration.
Until recently, puppet-vswitch was a dependency to run puppet-neutron.
See [2].

[1] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-vswitch/graphs/contributors
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-neutron/tree/stable/juno/manifests/plugins/ovs

To be less specific, Puppet modules that reside in OpenStack namespace
are today:
* deploying an OpenStack project (neutron, horizon, etc)
* a dependency to deploy modules (openstacklib, vswitch)
* contain some code used by our community to help with CI,
documentation, consistency, etc (modulesync, cookiebutter, integration,
blueprints).

Any feedback is welcome,
Regards,
--