[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Horizon][Tuskar-ui] Making a dashboard for Ironic

NiuZhenguo niuzhenguoing at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:01:40 UTC 2015

Hi Devananda,
> The git history appears to be squashed [1], and most files don't have an attribution header [2], and > none of the headers refer to the company who appears to be behind this (Huawei). What's the > rationale for these inconsistencies, and who is actually behind the code?
No headers refer to Huawei because the files are based on the Angular Dashboard from Horizon codes and now is only an empty baremetal dashboard which can be combined with Ironic-webclient created by Krotscheck. I think pushing the initial horizon compatible dashboard to stackforge or openstack is the first step for collaboration, then we can build a team for that.
> Are you going to maintain this project personally, or is there a team at Huawei (or somewhere else) > that is going to do that? Or are you expecting Ironic's current developer teams to take ownership of > this code and maintain it?
There is not a team working for the project, the purpose I want to create ironic-dashboard is that I contribute to both Horizon and Ironic, and considering I can help to fill the gaps that there's no Horizon support for Ironic. About who should maintain the project, I'm not sure whether Horizon or Ironic or even a separate team.

> Are you/they going to become part of Ironic's community, attend our weekly meetings, and follow > our design process?

Sure, the dashboard should be geared towards Ironic.
> What is the vision / goal that is being working towards? What is the scope of this dashboard? How > does it fit in with our existing plans?
The end goal for ironic-dashboard is that it can be configured as a standalone UI or a dashboard within Horizon. Currently the codes on github is an empty dashboard, the panels and features should be developed with the ironic community.

-zhenguo

From: devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 22:40:53 +0000
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Ironic][Horizon][Tuskar-ui] Making a dashboard for Ironic

Hi Jim,

Your characterization of this is incomplete. These are not two equal projects proposing the same thing in different ways, and while I very much want to encourage collaboration, I value our community and feel that this was not done in the spirit of that community.
To be clear: ironic-webclient has been developed with the knowledge and support of the Ironic developer community, and was not moved into the openstack/ namespace on my request, because I have been holding projects to a certain level of maturity before including them in Ironic, roughly equivalent to the TC's bar for "big tent" inclusion.
On the other hand, ironic-dashboard was done without the knowledge of any Ironic cores, nor with even a "heads up" to the Ironic or Horizon PTLs. Rather than an open design process, this code was just dropped on github and Infra was asked to approve the project creation. I have not had the opportunity to talk with its author *at all* yet.
I'm glad that ya'll didn't just approve the project creation request without checking with me, and I'm glad we are now having this discussion.
Now that that is cleared up, let's move on.

Hi Zhenguo,
I have some questions about "ironic-dashboard" that I need answered before the Ironic Project Team accepts responsibility for it.
The git history appears to be squashed [1], and most files don't have an attribution header [2], and none of the headers refer to the company who appears to be behind this (Huawei). What's the rationale for these inconsistencies, and who is actually behind the code?
Are you going to maintain this project personally, or is there a team at Huawei (or somewhere else) that is going to do that? Or are you expecting Ironic's current developer teams to take ownership of this code and maintain it?
Are you/they going to become part of Ironic's community, attend our weekly meetings, and follow our design process?

What is the vision / goal that is being working towards? What is the scope of this dashboard? How does it fit in with our existing plans?

I'm not entirely opposed to having two separate UI projects for Ironic at the moment, but we should be very clear about the rationale if we go that route.
-Devananda

[1] https://github.com/niuzhenguo/ironic-dashboard/commit/4be73d19e54eb75aa31da3d1a38fa65c1287bc7b[2] https://github.com/niuzhenguo/ironic-dashboard/search?q=copyright

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm glad that by asking the ironic-dashboard creators to propose their

project to ironic initially (rather than stackforge) we have prompted

this conversation.  We now know that two independent groups of people

have created standalone ironic dashboards, neither of which is currently

part of an OpenStack project.

We have an opportunity for those teams to begin collaborating now.  I

would encourage them to do so, along with both the Ironic and Horizon

teams, on a path forward.  Let's end the talk of -1ing someone's every

patch and instead avail ourselves of one of the many ways in our

community we can achieve and record consensus.  Michael, you have a plan

with a number of steps, one of which is already an approved

cross-project spec.  Perhaps that is a good starting point for this

discussion.

-Jim