[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging][zeromq] Next step

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 19 07:56:12 UTC 2015

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> There's a 95% of deployments using rabbit not because rabbit is the
> best solution for all OpenStack problems but because it was the one
> that works best now. The lack of support on other drivers caused this
> and as long this lack of support on such drivers persist, it won't
> change.

There is 95% of deployments using rabbit because RabbitMQ serves the
middle of the Bell curve of the use cases perfectly well.

For OpenStack to be ubiquitous, we need to extend beyond our comfort
zone of use cases and support technology that will let us address those.
I see zmq has an enabler for that: it will solve other classes of
problems triggered by extreme use cases.

So yes, obviously RabbitMQ dominance should (and will naturally) drive
the development and maintenance efforts. But we should at least try to
not make the lives of those who explore new trails (and reach to new use
cases) miserable.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)