[openstack-dev] [Solum][app-catalog] [ Supporting swift downloads for operator languagepacks

Devdatta Kulkarni devdatta.kulkarni at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Jun 18 15:11:30 UTC 2015

Kevin,

You are right. To avoid overloading the app catalog servers, Solum operators can (should?) have local

copies of the languagepacks (LPs) in their Glance/Swift installations which are part of their Solum install.

Solum currently does have the ability to download LPs from Glance or Swift and use them to build

application containers. Solum internally maintains metadata about each LP. One of attributes in this

is to identify whether an LP is an "operator LP". The LPs that an operator downloads from the app catalog

would be marked as operator LPs in Solum. Also, I would assume that operators would define a process to

periodically refresh these LPs from the app catalog.

Currently operator LPs are available for all the tenants in Solum.

Such LPs are downloaded only the first time on the hosts that build application containers,

when an application that depends on that LP is built for the very first time.

After that the LP is cached on the host. So the Docker daemon on that host does not need to download it again.

Solum also provides configurable option to delete LPs to control hosts' disk usage.

We have not yet solved how to enable a tenant to make public the LPs that they create

(i.e. make their LPs available to other tenants). The solution for this would be different for different backends.

I believe that Glance has a way to make images public. So we could use that for Glance.

- Devdatta