[openstack-dev] [all] FYI - dropping non RabbitMQ support in devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jun 18 14:09:56 UTC 2015

On 06/18/2015 09:54 AM, ozamiatin wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Thanks a lot for the plugin!
> I was a little bit confused with a commit message and dropping of
> drivers support.
> It turns really not so hard to test zeromq driver with plugin.

Yes, that was the design goal with the whole plugin mechanism. To
provide an experience that was so minimally different from vanilla
devstack, that most people would never even notice. It's honestly often
easier to explain to people how to enable a service via a plugin than
the config variables in tree.

> So I have no objections any more and removing my -1.

Cool, great. It would be great if you or someone else could post a
review to pull this code into gerrit somewhere. You'll need the code in
gerrit to use it in devstack-gate jobs, as we don't allow projects
outside of gerrit to be cloned during tests.

> But I also agree with Doug Hellmann and other speakers that we should
> not make such changes
> so fast.

The reason I didn't think the time table was unreasonable was how quick
this transition could be made, and how little code is needed to make one
of these plugins. And the fact that from there on out you get to be in
control of landing fixes or enhancements for your backend on the
timetable that works for you.

It will make getting the devstack-gate jobs working reliably a lot
simpler and quicker for your team.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague