[openstack-dev] [nova] Plan to consolidate FS-style libvirt volume drivers under a common base class

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 09:46:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 04:21:16PM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> The NFS, GlusterFS, SMBFS, and Quobyte libvirt volume drivers are all very
> similar.
>
> I want to extract a common base class that abstracts some of the common code
> and then let the sub-classes provide overrides where necessary.
>
> As part of this, I'm wondering if we could just have a single
> 'mount_point_base' config option rather than one per backend like we have
> today:
>
> nfs_mount_point_base
> glusterfs_mount_point_base
> smbfs_mount_point_base
> quobyte_mount_point_base
>
> With libvirt you can only have one of these drivers configured per compute
> host right?  So it seems to make sense that we could have one option used
> for all 4 different driver implementations and reduce some of the config
> option noise.

Doesn't cinder support multiple different backends to be used ? I was always
under the belief that it did, and thus Nova had to be capable of using any
of its volume drivers concurrently.

> Are there any concerns with this?

Not a concern, but since we removed the 'volume_drivers' config parameter,
we're now free to re-arrange the code too. I'd like use to create a subdir
nova/virt/libvirt/volume and create one file in that subdir per driver
that we have.

> Is a blueprint needed for this refactor?

Not from my POV. We've just done a huge libvirt driver refactor by adding
the Guest.py module without any blueprint.

Regards,
Daniel