[openstack-dev] [nova] Plan to consolidate FS-style libvirt volume drivers under a common base class

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 16 21:21:16 UTC 2015

The NFS, GlusterFS, SMBFS, and Quobyte libvirt volume drivers are all
very similar.

I want to extract a common base class that abstracts some of the common
code and then let the sub-classes provide overrides where necessary.

As part of this, I'm wondering if we could just have a single
'mount_point_base' config option rather than one per backend like we
have today:

nfs_mount_point_base
glusterfs_mount_point_base
smbfs_mount_point_base
quobyte_mount_point_base

With libvirt you can only have one of these drivers configured per
compute host right?  So it seems to make sense that we could have one
option used for all 4 different driver implementations and reduce some
of the config option noise.

I checked the os-brick change [1] proposed to nova to see if there would
be any conflicts there and so far that's not touching any of these
classes so seems like they could be worked in parallel.

Are there any concerns with this?

Is a blueprint needed for this refactor?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/175569/

Matt Riedemann