[openstack-dev] [Ironic] ironic-lib library

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:38:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

I haven't paid any attention to ironic-lib; I just knew that we wanted to
have a library of common code so that we didn't cut/paste. I just took a
look[1] and there are files there from 2 months ago. So far, everything is
under ironic_lib (ie, no subdirectories to group things). Going forward,
are there guidelines as to where/what goes into this library?

I think it would be good to note down the process wrt using this library.
I'm guessing that having this library will most certainly delay things wrt
development. Changes will need to be made to the library first, then need
to wait until a new version is released, then possibly update the min
version in global-requirements, then use (and profit) in ironic-related
projects.

With the code in ironic, we were able to do things like change the
arguments to methods etc. With the library -- do we need to worry about
backwards compatibility?

How frequently were we thinking of releasing a new version? (Depends on
whether anything was changed there that is needed really soon?)

Anything else that we should keep in mind when making changes to the
library?

--ruby

[1] https://github.com/openstack/ironic-lib