[openstack-dev] [api][nova][ironic] Microversion API HTTP header

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 21:13:44 UTC 2015

On 06/15/2015 01:07 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> It has come to my attention in [1] that the microversion spec for Nova
> [2] and Ironic [3] have used the project name -- i.e. Nova and Ironic
> -- instead of the name of the API -- i.e. "OpenStack Compute" and
> "OpenStack Bare Metal" -- in the HTTP header that a client passes to
> indicate a preference for or knowledge of a particular API microversion.
>
> The original spec said that the HTTP header should contain the name of
> the service type returned by the Keystone service catalog (which is
> also the official name of the REST API). I don't understand why the
> spec was changed retroactively and why Nova has been changed to return
> X-OpenStack-Nova-API-Version instead of
> X-OpenStack-Compute-API-Version HTTP headers [4].

When it comes to enforcing policy for these APIs, what should we
realistically be matching against?  Thus far, policy ghas been a purely
internal thing, with only an implicit mapping from the API to the policy
rule, but I gathered there was a push especially due to microversions to
make the two more aligned.

At a minimum, I would think that the namespace of the rule should match
the header, and we've been pushing that the rules should be namespaced
"identity",  "compute" and so forth.