[openstack-dev] [puppet] [fuel] more collaboration request

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Fri Jun 12 19:33:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 02:25:31PM +0200, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> >I have already explained in the thread how we address the problem of
> >tracking down and managing the Fuel specific changes in forked modules.
> >With that problem addressed, I don't see any other objective reason for
> >frustration. Does anybody's bonus depend on the number of lines of code
> >in stackforge repositories such as fuel-library that git blame
> >attributes to their name?
>
> I don't think anyone here is talking about bonuses or worrying about
> salaries. The fact that you mention it offends the purposes of this
> thread and, as much as you don't care, I'm really sad to read that.
>
> The whole thing this thread is trying to achieve is improving
> collaboration and you are derailing the conversation with completely
> unfriendly/unhelpful comments like the one above.

I am really sorry that I made you feel bad about what I wrote, I didn't
mean to do that. I actually completely agree with you that this aspect
of the thread was derailing the conversation, and I tried to use
reductio ad absurdum to demonstrate how ridiculous it can get if we
focus on perfecting author attribution instead of discussing
collaboration. I should have been more explicit in indicating that I
didn't actually mean this as a serious question. Lets write it off as a
bad joke that didn't make it across the language barrier.

> It does cause frustration because, as you can read from Emiliem's
> original email, it not just adds some extra burden to people in the
> puppet team but it also defeates the purposes of the team itself,
> which is creating OpenStack puppet manifests that are consumable by
> everyone.

Now I see that we're on the same page. I agree that it does add extra
burden, and even though we've done what we could to reduce that burden
in the process I've described earlier, the only way to eliminate it
completely is to use upstream Puppet modules in Fuel directly and
without Fuel specific modifications. I see a broad consensus on this
thread in favor of setting this as the end goal, and I gladly join that
sentiment.

To prove that I'm not merely trying to placate you, here's what I had to
say about this to the Fuel team back in March 2014 when we first came up
with our current process for tracking upsteam:

https://lists.launchpad.net/fuel-dev/msg00727.html

Peace?

--
Dmitry Borodaenko