[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Issue with pymysql

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 16:42:42 UTC 2015

On 6/12/15 11:37 AM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On 6/11/15 9:32 PM, Eugene Nikanorov wrote:
>> Hi neutrons,
>>
>> I'd like to draw your attention to an issue discovered by rally gate job:
>> http://logs.openstack.org/96/190796/4/check/gate-rally-dsvm-neutron-rally/7a18e43/logs/screen-q-svc.txt.gz?level=TRACE
>>
>> I don't have bandwidth to take a deep look at it, but first
>> impression is that it is some issue with nested transaction support
>> either on sqlalchemy or pymysql side.
>> Also, besides errors with nested transactions, there are a lot of
>> Lock wait timeouts.
>>
>> I think it makes sense to start with reverting the patch that moves
>> to pymysql.
> My immediate reaction is that this is perhaps a concurrency-related
> issue; because PyMySQL is pure python and allows for full blown
> eventlet monkeypatching, I wonder if somehow the same PyMySQL
> connection is being used in multiple contexts. E.g. one greenlet
> starts up a savepoint, using identifier "_3" which is based on a
> counter that is local to the SQLAlchemy Connection, but then another
> greenlet shares that PyMySQL connection somehow with another
> SQLAlchemy Connection that uses the same identifier.

reading more of the log, it seems the main issue is just that there's a
deadlock on inserting into the securitygroups table.  The deadlock on
insert can be because of an index being locked.

I'd be curious to know how many greenlets are running concurrently here,
and what the overall transaction looks like within the operation that is
failing here (e.g. does each transaction insert multiple rows into
securitygroups?  that would make a deadlock seem more likely).