[openstack-dev] [Manila] Ask for help on supportting the 3-rd party CI for HDFS driver

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Fri Jun 12 10:59:43 UTC 2015

> > It doesn't make sense to require people to learn about things they
> > will never use again - and the amount of time spent answering the
> > questions, diagnosing problems and so on is quite a bit higher
> > than doing it simply right the first time.
>
> This is, I think, also a common misconception. The people who write
> these jobs to run in our CI need to stick around or induct
> successors to help maintain them and avoid bitrot as our systems
> constantly change and evolve. I know the same goes for the drivers
> themselves... if people don't keep them current with the OpenStack
> software into which they're integrating, support will quickly be
> dropped due to quality control concerns.
Maintaining and supporting the drivers isn't the problem - that has to
happen more or less regularly, if only to add features and/or to stay
compatible with the rest of the Openstack code.

It's also much nearer to the contributor's normal work, so not that likely
to be forgotten - whereas the job definitions are looked at (perhaps) never
again, and so the knowledge about that will be lost (from the contributor's
brain, that is).

To repeat the important point: Thanks to all people that are helping on
IRC, this is one of the most important assets Openstack has today!

--
: Ing. Philipp Marek
: DRBD/HA support and consulting                 http://www.linbit.com :