[openstack-dev] [neutron] Microversioning work questions and kick-start

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Thu Jun 11 22:03:41 UTC 2015

As most of you already know, work is beginning to move forward on the
micro-versioned Neutron API, for which a specification is available at [1]

>From a practical perspective there is one non-negligible preliminary issue
that needs attention. then Neutron API URI prefix includes the full version
number - currently 2.0. For instance:

 http://neutron_server:9696/v2.0/networks.json

This clearly makes a microversioned approach a bit weird - if you have to
use, for instance, 2.0 as a URI prefix for API version 2.12.
On the one hand it might make sense to start the micro-versioned API as a
sort of clean slate, possibly using a version-agnostic URI prefix or no
prefix at all; also as pointed out by some community members it will give a
chance to validate this versioned API approach.
This will have however the drawback that both the unversioned,
extension-based so-called 2.0 API will keep living and evolving
side-by-side with the versioned API, and then switching to the versioned
API will not be transparent to clients.
It would be good to receive some opinions from the developer and user
community on the topic.

Furthermore, another topic that has been brought up is whether plugins
should be allowed to control the version of the API server, like specifying
minimum and maximum version. My short answer is no, because the plugin
should implement the API, not controlling it. Also, the spec provides a
facility for plugins to disable features if they are unable to support them.

Finally, I received queries from several community members that would be
keen on helping supporting this microversioning effort. I wonder if the PTL
and the API lieutenants would ok with agreeing to have a team of developers
meeting regularly, working towards implementing this feature, and report
progress and/or issues to the general Neutron meeting.

Salvatore

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/136760/