[openstack-dev] [keystone] [nova] [oslo] [neutron][cross-project] Split Policy rules into two parts.

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Thu Jun 11 21:35:11 UTC 2015

I am not able to say whether this works for Nova. Surely works for Neutron
- from a functional perspective at least.

I still don't know however whether this choice is the best way to proceed,
and perhaps you can help me understand better.

Role checks are always expressed through policy.json and can be enforced in
middleware. Does this mean that there is also a centralized policy.json, or
will we keep per-project policy files even for role checks?

Scope checks - ie: application-specific checks - can be enforced in any way
the application developers wish. They can use policy.json, be hardcoded or,
if they wish ask Pythia, the Oracle of Delphi. From an operator
perspective, this means that every project can enforce policies in a
different way. Is this going to be practical and maintainable? I can't
speak for operators, but I would like to understand a bit better what this
implies for them.

Salvatore