[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Add table to Nova DB

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:17:02 UTC 2015

Replying to openstack-dev ML, which is where this question belongs.

On 06/11/2015 11:10 AM, Silvia Fichera wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have to add a table to Nova DB (I will populated it statically by now).
> I found this post:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19424901/how-to-add-a-table-in-nova-database-openstack
> But since it is a little bit "old" I need to know if there are any
> changes and if it is the right way to follow.
> In this table I want to report network stats information (latency,
> badwidth, etc.). By now I want to insert manually those data.

I know this is going to sound harsh, but you should not be extending
Nova's database in any way outside of submissions to the upstream Nova
codebase.

What it sounds like you want to do is to publish network statistics
(bandwidth/IO in and out of VMs) about your instances. If that is
correct, you should probably look to the Ceilometer project to meet your
needs.

Best,
-jay