[openstack-dev] [nova] vif type libvirt-network

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 08:30:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 04:47:41PM +0200, Andreas Scheuring wrote:
> Hi Daniel, Neil and others,
>
> I was thinking about introducing libvirt-network as a new vif type to
> nova. It can be used when Neutron prepares a libvirt network for
> attaching guests.
>
> Would you see any general concerns with such an approach? Anything that
> I need to consider with libvirt networks in addition? Maybe I should
> mention one thing due to the discussion this morning: No plug/unplug
> behavior would required.
>
> Any feedback is welcome!
>

> I added a blueprint and wrote a spec with more details [1]. This
> blueprint would make the macvtap-vif blueprint [2] dispensable.

It seems the main reason for your new proposal is to deal with
the fact that on migration, you need to specify a different
NIC name in the XML. This is not particularly difficult - Nova
already has code for dealing with pdating the XML - the _update_xml
method in nova.virt.libvirt.driver just needs extending to cover
that.

> The neutron code exploiting this libvirt network vif type will land on
> stackforge. It will manage macvtap backed libvirt networks --> offer
> guest attachments via macvtap. [3]

Who / what will actally be talking to libvirt to create/update the
network XML setup. Will that be part of the vif driver too.

Regards,
Daniel