[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] polling agent configuration speculation

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 17:10:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, Luo Gangyi wrote:

> In current, ceilometer load pollsters by agent namespace, So do you
> mean you want load pollsters one by one through their name(maybe
> defined in pipeline.yaml)?
>
> If loading all pollsters in one time do not cost much, I think your
> change is bit unnecessary. But if it does cost much, your change is
> meaningful.

The goal is to avoid importing code into a process that is not going to
be used. Not because it is slow or uses a lot of memory (in my testing
it is not slow, I'm unclear (thus far) about memory use) but simply
because it is inappropriate: Any single process should only contain code
(and config) that it is actually going to use.

> BTW, I like the idea "Separate polling and publishing/transforming
> into separate workers/processes."

Good to know, thank you. This seems to be the growing consensus.
What's not yet clear is how soon we'll be able to make this happen
but at least we know we'll be trying to make progress in the right
direction.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent