[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 9 14:54:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-09 10:55:55 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> That's far from being in place. Also, while we are removing point
> releases, and support for Icehouse, we still don't have a common private
> Gerrit for security, which we've been told about 2 years ago.
>
> Removing collaboration tools before new ones are in place is
> definitively not the way to go.
[...]

In the stable branch management session at the Liberty summit, the
Infrastructure Team position was confirmed that we can't maintain
non-supported branches in a second Gerrit any more than we can in
the primary one. The idea that there might be some branch of an
OpenStack project which we just give up on testing but keep
available for new changes is distasteful from a quality perspective.
If there is sufficient interest from distro representatives in
collaborating upstream on backports to, for example, stable/icehouse
then that interest needs to include the resources necessary to
maintain sufficient testing upstream (as defined by the upstream
community).

So, I'm sorry, but don't look to an OpenStack-maintained non-public
code review system as a workaround for continuing to collaborate in
private on branches unsupported upstream in public. Most of the time
it ends up being non-distro upstream developers (quality assurance,
release management, infrastructure, vulnerability management,
individual projects) who bear the majority of the responsibility for
keeping testing working on those branches and we're clearly at our
breaking point now trying to maintain three besides our master
branch.

If the interested distributions come back with teams of people to
dedicate to this work, which means getting deeply embedded in the
groups who currently maintain the existing testing and release
management for stable branches and are currently understaffed for
that effort, then we can certainly revisit the number of branches
we're able to maintain in both the public and (future) embargoed
security review systems.
--
Jeremy Stanley