[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Tue Jun 9 09:37:17 UTC 2015

Hi Derek,

> This patch would result in 80 packaging repositories being pulled into
> gerrit.

I personally would prefer to start with fewer but common packages
between all RPM distros (is there more than Red Hat and SUSE ?) than
starting the process with 80, but I wouldn't object to that.

> o exactly what namespace/prefix to use in the naming, I've seen lots of
> opinions but I'm not clear if we have come to a decision
>
> o Should we use "rdo" in the packaging repo names and not "rpm"? I think
> this ultimatly depends whether the packaging can be shared between RDO and
> Suse or not.

Well, we're (SUSE that is) are interested in sharing the packaging,
and a non-RDO prefix would be preferred for the upstream coordination
efforts. It is all a bit fuzzy for me right now as I'm not entirely
sure our goals for packaging are necessarily the same (e.g. we have
the tendency to include patches that have not been merged but are
proposed upstream and are +1'ed already into our packages should there
be a pressing need for us to do so (e.g. fixes an important platform
bug), but maybe we can find enough common goals to make this a
benificial effort for all of us.

There are quite some details to sort out as our packaging is for
historical and for various policy reasons that we need to stick to
slightly different than the RDO packaging. I think going over those
and see how we can merge them in a consolidated effort (or maintain
two variants together) is the first step IMHO.

Another important point for us is that we start with equal rights on
the upstream collaboration (at least on the RPM side, I am fine with
decoupling and not caring about the deb parts). I'm not overly
optimistic that a single PTL would be able to cover both the DEB and
RPM worlds, as I perceive them quite different in details.

Greetings,
Dirk