[openstack-dev] [horizon][i18n] Ordering of PO files

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Jun 9 07:00:17 UTC 2015

On 06/09/2015 01:28 AM, Thai Q Tran wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In the midst of shifting to angular, we are making use of babel for
> extracting messages. This would then allow us to write a custom
> extractor for angular templates.
>
> Here's the patch that compare PO files:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189502/
> It looks worse than reality, if you compare the django vs babel
> makemessages, they are nearly identical, only the ordering is different.
>
> Which leads me to my next point. If the ordering of the translatable
> strings are not the same, how does that affect translation (if at all)?

It doesn't.

Our tools always sort the entries, we call for all files:
msgattrib --translated --no-location --sort-output "$i" \
             --output="${i}.tmp"

Please use the same commands for generation as our tools. For horizon
see
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/jenkins/scripts/propose_translation_update_horizon.sh

Andreas
    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)