[openstack-dev] [global-requirements][pbr] tarball and git requirements no longer supported in requirements.txt

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Jun 7 23:05:08 UTC 2015

On 4 June 2015 at 21:06, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/03/2015 11:08 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> One question that this raises, and this is why I wrote the email:
>> is there any need to support this at all:- can we say that we won't
>> use tarball/vcs support at all and block it as a policy step in
>> global requirements? AIUI both git and tarball support is
>> problematic for CI jobs due to the increased flakiness of depending
>> on network resources... so its actively harmful anyway.
>>

> Lots of Neutron modules, like advanced services, or out-of-tree
> plugins, rely on neutron code being checked out from git [1]. I don't
> say it's the way to go forward, and there were plans to stop relying
> on latest git to avoid frequent breakages, but it's not yet implemented.

So - testing with unreleased code for the servers is de rigeur in
OpenStack today. I'd actually like us to think about doing better, but
the current status is that we test latest nova against latest keystone
exclusively and so on.

Where we test against releases is where we use things as libraries.
So, if you're using Neutron as a library, I really would have expected
you to be using the stable interface etc etc, but - that ship has
sailed - hopefully it will improve over time.

To deliver a git dependency like that today, I recommend:
requirements.txt
=====
neutron
=====

And then use a separate requirements file in unit tests etc to specify
where to get neutron from.

requirements.txt is *special* because its interpreted by pbr as well
as being usable by pip - you just need a requirements file that isn't
interpreted by pbr. E.g. you could use dev-requirements.txt (which we
just removed from update.py :/ - we could add it back of course). Be
sure to use the local git path for the gate - nodes have neutron
pre-cached, and zuul-cloner can be used to get a local copy
appropriately.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>