[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Jun 7 22:49:28 UTC 2015

On 8 June 2015 at 10:45, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

>> You'll also note that according to PEP 440, (as Jeremy pointed out) .postN
>> is meant for non-code changes. If we want to be pedantic about the version
>> numbers generated by PBR (at the gate, in tox, etc.), it should be <next
>> version number>.devN but that's shaving an entirely different yak, and one
>> that I don't think is especially concerning or a serious problem.
>
> Its a very concerning problem for continuous deployers, and thats why
> pbr 0.11 is now the minimum in global requirements, because we solved
> it. It can cause gate issues with dependencies not upgrading for
> instance (or running the latest beta rather than the local tree meant
> to be tested) [even with latest pip].

I missed the reference - sorry -
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/pbr/#version - documents the
algorithm pbr uses to generate versions. The reference to git sha's is
incorrect, I'll push up a doc fix for that shortly (we store that in a
pbr metadata file in the sdist and can report on that via the pbr CLI,
but its not in the version string anymore.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist