[openstack-dev] The Nova API in Kilo and Beyond

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 15:03:21 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 07:32 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> One of the things we realized at the summit was that we'd been working
> through a better future for the Nova API for the past 5 cycles, gotten
> somewhere quite useful, but had really done a poor job on communicating
> what was going on and why, and where things are headed next.
>
> I've written a bunch of English to explain it (which should be on the
> planet shortly as well) -
> https://dague.net/2015/06/05/the-nova-api-in-kilo-and-beyond-2/ (with
> lots of help from Ed Leaf, John Garbutt, and Matt Gillard on content and
> copy editing).
>
> Yes, this is one of those terrible mailing list posts that points people
> to read a thing not on the list (I appologize). But at 2700 words, I
> think you'll find it more comfortable to read not in email.
>
> Discussion is welcome here for any comments folks have. Some details
> were trimmed for the sake of it not being a 6000 word essay, and to make
> it accessible to people that don't have a ton of Nova internals
> knowledge. We'll do our best to field questions, all of which will be
> integrated into the eventual dev ref version of this.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> 	-Sean

Thanks, Sean. Great writeup. There are two issues I think might need
more clarification/amplification:

1. Does the microversion methodology, and the motivation for true
interoperability, imply that there needs to be a new version for every
bug fix that could be detected by users of an api? There was back and
forth about that in the review about the ip6 server list filter bug you
referenced. If so, this is a pretty strong constraint that will need
more guidance for reviewers about which kinds of changes need new
versions and which don't.

2. What is the policy for making incompatible changes, now that
versioning "allows" such changes to be made? If some one doesn't like
the name of one of the keys in a returned dict, and submits a change
with new microversion, how should that be evaluated? IIRC, this was an
issue that inspired some dislike about the original v3 work.

  -David