[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Domain and Project naming

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 13:06:08 UTC 2015

On 06/04/2015 11:13 PM, Jamie Lennox wrote:

> [...]
I think it will trip people up.  It is not an intentional design, but a
limitation due to historical accident.

> Even with hierarchical projects is it a problem to say that a project name still must be unique per domain? I get that in theory you might want to be able to identify a nested project by name under other projects but that's not something we have to allow immediately.
I thkn so.  I think a very common pattern will be having one project for
a major application (Trello, Wordpress, Kubernetes) with "dev, qa,
staging, live"  under it, and now we are telling people they can't have it.

> I haven't followed the reseller case closely but in any situation where you had off control like that we are re-establishing a domain and so in a multitenancy situation each domain can still use their own project names.
Yeah, that is not a problem here:  if we nest under a domain, the unique
is not an issue.

> I feel like discussions around nested naming schemes and tieing domains to DNS is really premature until we have people that are actually using hierarchical projects.
I would say that hierarchical is well enough trodden territory that we
should go with what works.  We have DNS, and we have fie systesm, both
of which people use all the time.  Telling people you can only have one
subdirectory named conf would not fly. Let's get this right.