[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 5 12:46:07 UTC 2015

So.. summarizing the various options again:

Plan A
Just drop stable point releases.
(-) No more release notes
(-) Lack of reference points to compare installations

Plan B
Push date-based tags across supported projects from time to time.
(-) Encourages to continue using same version across the board
(-) Almost as much work as making proper releases

Plan C
Let projects randomly tag point releases whenever
(-) Still a bit costly in terms of herding cats

Plan D
Drop stable point releases, publish per-commit tarballs
(-) Requires some infra changes, takes some storage space

Plans B, C and D also require some release note / changelog generation
from data maintained *within* the repository.

Personally I think the objections raised against plan A are valid. I
like plan D, since it's more like releasing every commit than "not
releasing anymore". I think it's the most honest trade-off. I could go
with plan C, but I think it's added work for no additional value to the
user.

What would be your preferred option ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)