[openstack-dev] Standard way to indicate a partial blueprint implementation?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 23:23:54 UTC 2015

Ever since we established[1] a format for including metadata about bugs
in Git commit messages that included a 'Partial-Bug' tag, people have
been looking for a way to do the equivalent for partial blueprint
implementations. A non-exhaustive search of a small number of projects
reveals at least the following formats in use:

partial blueprint: x
Implements: partial blueprint x
Implements: partial-blueprint x
Partial-Blueprint: x
part of blueprint x
partial blueprint x
Implements: blueprint x (partial)
Partially implements: blueprint x
Partially Implements: blueprint x
Partially-Implements: blueprint x
Partial implements blueprint x
Partially-Implements-Blueprint: x
Part of blueprint x
Partial-implements: blueprint x
Partial-Implements: blueprint x
partially implement: blueprint x

No guidance is available on the wiki page.[2] Clearly the regex doesn't
care so long as it sees the word blueprint followed by the blueprint
name. I have personally been using:

   Implements: partial-blueprint x

but I don't actually care much. I would also be fine with:

   Partially-Implements: blueprint x

I do think it should have a colon so that it fits the format of the rest
of the sign-off stanza, I don't think it should have any spaces before
the colon for the same reason, and ideally it would have 'Implements' in
there somewhere for consistency.

Sahara folks have documented a standard,[3] but it fails on some of
those criteria and in any event they haven't actually been following it.

Can we agree on and document a standard way of doing this?

Yes, someone -1'd my patch for this. How did you guess?

cheers,
Zane.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-August/012945.html