[openstack-dev] [Ironic] When to bump the microversion?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Jun 4 18:05:03 UTC 2015

On 06/04/2015 10:14 AM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2015 8:57 AM, "Monty Taylor" <mordred at inaugust.com

>  > So, seriously - let's grow up and start telling people that they do not
>  > get to pick and choose user-visible feature sets. If they have an unholy
>  > obsession with a particular backend technology that does not allow a
>  > public feature of the API to work, then they are deploying a broken
>  > cloud and they need to fix it.
>  >

> So I just had dinner last night with a very large user of OpenStack (yes, they
> exist)  whose single biggest request is that we stop "differentiating" in the
> API. To them, any difference in the usability / behavior / API between OpenStack
> deployment X and Y is a serious enough problem that it will have two effects:
> - vendor lock in
> - they stop using OpenStack
> And since avoiding single vendor lock in is important to them, well, really it
> has only one result.
>
> Tl;Dr; Monty is right. We MUST NOT vary the API or behaviour significantly or
> non-discoverably between clouds. Or we simply won't have users.

If a vendor wants to "differentiate" themselves, what about having two sets of
API endpoints?  One that is full vanilla openstack with bog-standard behaviour,
and one that has vendor-specific stuff in it?

That way the end-users that want interop can just use the standard API and get
common behaviour across clouds, while the end-users that want the "special
sauce" and are willing to lock in to a vendor to get it can use the
vendor-specific API.

Chris