[openstack-dev] [Ironic] When to bump the microversion?

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:40:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

In Kilo, we introduced microversions but it seems to be a work-in-progress.
There is an effort now to add microversion into the API-WG's guidelines, to
provide a consistent way of using microversions across OpenStack projects
[1]. Specifically, in the context of this email, there is a proposed
guideline for when to bump the microversion [2].

Last week, in an IRC discussion [3], Devananda suggested that we bump the
microversion in these situations: ' "required for any
non-backwards-compatible change, and strongly encouraged for any
significant features" ? (and yes, that's subjective) '.

What do people think of that? I think it is clear that we should do it for
any non-backwards-compatible change. The subjective part worries me a bit
-- who decides, the feature submitter or the cores or ?

Alternatively, if people aren't too worried or care that much, we can
decide to follow the guideline [3] (and limp along until that guideline is
finalized).

--ruby

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/065793.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187896/