[openstack-dev] Dynamic Policy for Access Control Subteam Meeting

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 12:52:09 UTC 2015

On 06/04/2015 06:32 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 08:40 PM, Tim Hinrichs wrote:
>> As long as there's some way to get the *declarative* policy from the
>> system (as a data file or as an API call) that sounds fine.  But I'm
>> dubious that it will be easy to keep the API call that returns the
>> declarative policy in sync with the actual code that implements that policy.
> Um... why? Nova (or any other server project) needs to know what the
> currently computed policy is to actually enforce it internally. Turning
> around and spitting that back out on the wire is pretty straight forward.
>
> Is there some secret dragon I'm missing here?

No.  But it is a significant bit of coding to do;  you would need to
crawl every API and make sure you hit every code path that could enforce
policy.  However, I've contemplated doing something like that with
oslo.policy already;  run a workload through a server with policy
non-enforcing (Permissive mode) and log the output to a file, then use
that output to modify either the policy or the delegations (role
assignments or trusts) used in a workflow.

The Hard coded defaults worry me, though.  Nova is one piece (a big one,
admittedly) of a delicate dance across multiple (not-so-micro) services
that make up OpenStack.  Other serivces are going to take their cue from
what Nova does, and that would make the overall flow that much harder to
maintain.

I think we need to break some very ingrained patterns in out policy
enforcement.  I would worry that enforcing policy in code would give us
something that we could not work around.  Instead, I think we need to
ensure that the  Nova team leads the rest of the OpenStack core services
in setting up best practices, and that is primarily a communication
issue.  Getting to a common understanding of RBAC, and making it clear
how roles are modified on a per-api basis will make Nova more robust.