[openstack-dev] [all]Big Tent Mode within respective projects

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Jun 4 11:08:09 UTC 2015

On 3 June 2015 at 13:39, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 08:25 AM, Zhipeng Huang wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As I understand, Neutron by far has the clearest big tent mode via its
>> in-tree/out-of-tree decomposition, thanks to Kyle and other Neutron team
>> members effort.
>>
>> So my question is, is it the same for the other projects? For example,
>> does Nova also have the project-level Big Tent Mode Neutron has?
>

> Hi Zhipeng,
>
> At this time, Neutron is the only project that has done any splitting out of
> driver and advanced services repos. Other projects have discussed doing
> this, but, at least in Nova, that discussion was put on hold for the time
> being. Last I remember, we agreed that we would clean up, stabilize and
> document the virt driver API in Nova before any splitting of driver repos
> would be feasible.

+1 to jay's comment.

I see Nova's mission as providing a solid interoperable API experience
to on-demand compute resources. Right now, thats happening best by
keeping things in tree, but we are doing work to make other options
possible.

I actually see the existence of projects such as Cinder, Heat and
Magnum as success stories born out of Nova saying no to expanding our
scope (and in the case of Cinder, actively trying to reduce our
scope). I hope more of both of those things will happen in the future.

If we had accepted these efforts into Nova, they would not have had
the freedom they get by living inside OpenStack, but outside of
Compute. Something the big tent makes much easier to deal with. I
don't think they would have gained much by being inside the compute
project, mostly because we are all crazy busy looking after Nova.

Thanks,
John