[openstack-dev] [api] [Nova] [Ironic] [Magnum] Microversion guideline in API-WG

Xu, Hejie hejie.xu at intel.com
Thu Jun 4 06:58:54 UTC 2015

Hi, guys,

I'm working on adding Microversion into the API-WG's guideline which make sure we have consistent Microversion behavior in the API for user.
The Nova and Ironic already have Microversion implementation, and as I know Magnum https://review.openstack.org/#/c/184975/ is going to implement Microversion also.

Hope all the projects which support( or plan to) Microversion can join the review of guideline.

The Mircoversion specification(this almost copy from nova-specs): https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187112
And another guideline for when we should bump Mircoversion https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187896/

As I know, there already have a little different between Nova and Ironic's implementation. Ironic return min/max version when the requested
version doesn't support in server by http-headers. There isn't such thing in nova. But that is something for version negotiation we need for nova also.
Sean have pointed out we should use response body instead of http headers, the body can includes error message. Really hope ironic team can take a
look at if you guys have compelling reason for using http headers.

And if we think return body instead of http headers, we probably need think about back-compatible also. Because Microversion itself isn't versioned.
So I think we should keep those header for a while, does make sense?

Hope we have good guideline for Microversion, because we only can change Mircoversion itself by back-compatible way.

Thanks
Alex Xu