[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 3 23:46:22 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 09:21 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> I think it would be beneficial to have a single team and single PTL with
> multiple sets of repos

This isn't the direction we're taking, sorry. Yes, we can try to work as
much as possible together, and try to have consistency across
distributions if possible, but we're still completely different
distribution types, with different tooling, package names, practices,
policies, etc.

On 06/03/2015 06:08 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> it is a massive benefit to OpenStack and to operators if the
> end result of installing OpenStack packages on any distro is as
> similar as possible. To that end, this should be one unified
> packaging team focused on delivering a usable OpenStack through the
> distros.

I'm afraid an utopia like this may lead to unpractical organization.
Federating Debian + Ubuntu + MOS on one side, then all RPM based things
on another is already a huge win. Don't ask for too much at once, and
let us try to achieve some result first.

On 06/03/2015 10:30 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> So wouldn't that be more of an arguement to move as much of the
> installation logic back into the python packages as possible.
>
> So that "pip install nova" was a thing that you could do, and get
> reasonable results, and then the packaging teams would work around
> bundling that and handling dependencies sanely for their platforms.

Well, not pip. No pip involved in packaging at all. "python setup.py" is
what we do. And yes, PBR does wonderful things for that.

But packaging isn't just only about that. It's also having the logrotate
done right, cron jobs installed correctly, startup scripts (in Debian &
Ubuntu we support all of the 3 init systems: sysv-rc, upstart, systemd),
bash completion, sudoers files, manpages, docs in place. All of what I
just wrote is distribution specific, and cannot be offloaded to
setuptools or PBR.

> The fact that every installer / package needs to copy in a bunch of
> etc files (because the python packages don't do it) has always seemed
> rather odd to me.

The last time I saw upstream OpenStack trying to address it, we had
configuration files copied on /usr/etc/neutron !!! :)

Seriously, RPM and DEB have different ways of handling configuration
files anyway (.rpmnew anyone? Is that configuration "marked as CONFFILE"
debian lovers?). I'd love if we had a single distribution everyone would
work on, but that's simply not the case, and it wont change tomorrow.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)