[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 3 22:31:45 UTC 2015

> TBH, I don't think pip or distro packaging are ever going to be the
> right answer for fully configuring an OpenStack cloud. Because, there is
> no "one true cloud", there are a variety of different configurations and
> combinations depending on whether you're in a dev/test scenario, running
> a private cloud, a public cloud, how many machines you're deploying to,
> what services you want to run on which machines, what your underlying
> network looks like, etc, etc...

I have to disagree on that point, integration with underlying OS and low-level
services is important. If that integration doesn't exists, it's
off-loaded to the
operators. So downstream packages bring more value than pip deployment,
as it will pull dependencies (not just things from PyPI), working combination
with underlying OS components etc.

Packages could be used in a variety of different configurations, even ones we
didn't expect. Any sensitive scenario that we can't support is likely
to be a packaging
bug for me.

In some cases, it makes sense for fine-tuning, but generally, you just want to
get things work and tweak your configuration.

> Having pip or distro packaging that's very opinionated about configuring
> a large set of related services is worse than useless when it's fighting
> against the configuration you need. It's on the order of installing the
> nginx package and finding that apt has set up a Wordpress instance and
> database you didn't want or need. Operator's nightmare.
>
> Both pip and distro packaging should be consumable by any set of config
> management/orchestration tools, which means just install the software
> with minimal configuration.

+1
As a matter of fact, I prefer that packages to be as agnostic as
possible about the
deployment and let that work to the orchestration tool.

H.