[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Wed Jun 3 16:08:36 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 07:22 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> However, talking with James Page (from Canonical, head of their server
> team which does the OpenStack packaging), we believe it's best if we had
> 2 different distinct teams: one for Fedora/SuSe/everything-rpm, and one
> for Debian based distribution.
>
> We could try to work as a single entity (RPM + deb teams), but rpm+yum
> and dpkg+apt are 2 distinct worlds which have very few common
> attributes. So even if it may socially be nice, it's not the right
> technical decision.

Taking a step back, even though the tooling and packaging formats are
different, it is a massive benefit to OpenStack and to operators if the
end result of installing OpenStack packages on any distro is as similar
as possible. To that end, this should be one unified packaging team
focused on delivering a usable OpenStack through the distros.

Allison