[openstack-dev] [all][infra][tc][ptl] Scaling up code review process (subdir cores)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 3 14:51:17 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-03 17:15:43 +0300 (+0300), Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> I can't talk for other projects, so let's talk about Rally specific.
>
> We have single .git in root for whole project.
>
> We have 4 subdir that can have own maintainers:
> - rally/deploy
> - rally/verify
> - rally/benchmark
> - rally/plugins
>
> First 3 subdir are quite different and usually isolated communities.
> Plugins are not so hard to review and mostly developed part.
>
> If I would be able to have cores for specific areas that will scale up
> code reviewing process a lot
> without any trust, process, social, arch, whatever changes in project.

I get that, but if you already have rally/deploy, rally/verify and
rally/benchmark as separate directory trees then why not just git
filter-branch those into new repos and add dedicated review teams to
them? That doesn't involve any "rearchitecting" since they're
already effectively split up and just happen to coexist in one repo
today.
--
Jeremy Stanley