[openstack-dev] [infra][qa] Empty "Build succeeded" when filtering jobs

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Jun 3 14:56:28 UTC 2015

Evgeny Antyshev <eantyshev at odin.com> writes:

> Some CIs like to narrow their scope to a certain set of files.
> For that, they specify file mask on per-job basis. So there appear
> annoying comments with only "Build succeeded".
> (an example complaint:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/065367.html)
>
> Moreover, most of CIs which don't bother filtering, make lots of
> comments to doc/unittest changes, which is also wrong.
> (seehttps://review.openstack.org/#/c/152006, and most of CIs don't run unittests)
> What if Zuul would not comment when no real jobs run?
> The only meaningful task that is done is merging the patch,
> but anyway in case of merge failure there should be "Merge failed" comment.
>
> In case of no objections, I'll make corresponding change in zuul.

Sounds good to me.  In fact, if you specify no jobs for a
project-pipeline in Zuul, it does nothing (which is why we have the noop
jobs).  Arguably the fact that when the job set reduces to nothing due
to filtering the change is still enqueued is a bug.

I will note that this may complicate efforts to track the performance of
third-party CI systems, especially determining whether they are
reporting on all changes.  I still think you should make the change; the
reporting systems may just need to be a little more sophisticated
(perhaps they should only look at changes where OpenStack's CI system
ran certain jobs).

-Jim