[openstack-dev] [all][infra][tc][ptl] Scaling up code review process (subdir cores)

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jun 3 14:00:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 03 2015, Boris Pavlovic wrote:

> And I don't understand "what" so serious problem we have.
> We were not able to do reverts so  we build CI that doesn't allow us to
> break master
>  so we don't need to do reverts. I really don't see here any big problems.

Doing revert does not mean breaking nor unbreaking master. It's just
about canceling changes. You're not able to break master if you have a
good test coverage – and I'm sure Rally has.

> I was talking about reverting patches. And I believe the process is broken
> if you need to revert patches. It means that core team is not enough team
> or CI is not enough good.

Sure, reverting a patch means that a mistake has been made somewhere,
*but* the point is that having a few mistakes done and reverted is far
less a problem than freezing an entire project because everyone fears a
mistake might be made. Just learn to make mistake, fix/revert them, and
change fast. Not freeze everyone in terror of something being done. :)

--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker