[openstack-dev] [keystone] [nova] [oslo] oslo.policy requests from the Nova team

David Lyle dklyle0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:16:57 UTC 2015

The Horizon project also uses the nova policy.json file to do role based
access control (RBAC) on the actions a user can perform. If the defaults
are hidden in the code, that makes those checks a lot more difficult to
perform. Horizon will then get to duplicate all the hard coded defaults in
our code base. Fully understanding UI is not everyone's primary concern, I
will just point out that it's a terrible user experience to have 10 actions
listed on an instance that will only fail when actually attempted by making
the API call.

To accomplish this level of RBAC, Horizon has to maintain a sync'd copy of
the nova policy file. The move to centralized policy is something I am very
excited about. But this seems to be a move in the opposite direction.

I think simply documenting the default values in the policy.json file would
be a simpler and more straight-forward approach. I think the defcore
resolution is also a documentation issue.

David