[openstack-dev] [all][infra][tc][ptl] Scaling up code review process (subdir cores)

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Tue Jun 2 21:24:25 UTC 2015

Hi stackers,

*Issue*
*-------*

Projects are becoming bigger and bigger overtime.
More and more people would like to contribute code and usually core
reviewers
team can't scale enough. It's very hard to find people that understand full
project and have enough time to do code reviews. As a result team is very
small under heavy load and many maintainers just get burned out.

We have to solve this issue to move forward.

*Idea*
*------*

Let's introduce subsystems cores.

Really it's hard to find cores that understand whole project, but it's
quite simple to find people that can maintain subsystems of project.

*How To*
*-----------*

Gerrit is not so simple as it looks and it has really neat features ;)

For example we can write own rules about who can put +2 and merge patch
based on changes files.

We can make special "subdirectory core" ACL group.
People from such ACL group will be able to merge changes that touch only
files from some specific subdirs.

As a result with proper organization of directories in project we can scale
up review process without losing quality.

*Thoughts?*

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic