[openstack-dev] [DevStack][Neutron] PHYSICAL_NETWORK vs. PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK - rant

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Mon Jun 1 18:45:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 09:40:12PM EDT, Hirofumi Ichihara wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> > We have a *lot* of configuration knobs in DevStack for Neutron. I am not
> > a smart man, so I think we may need to wrap our arms around this and
> > simplify.
> I agree with you. I want to fix the confused configure too.
>
> PHYSICAL_NETWORK is a option in order to setup L2 public network only without L3 and private network.
> PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK is a option in order to setup public L2 network with L3 and private network.
>
> You can look at simple document in neutron-legacy[1].
>
> According with the comment, therefore, you should fix your local.conf as the following.
> PHYSICAL_NETWORK=default -> PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK=public
> and add

Hirofumi,

Thanks for the clarification. Do you think that there are cases where
the value for PHYSICAL_NETWORK and PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK will be different?

Perhaps we can change the default value for PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK from
"public" to just pulling in what PHYSICAL_NETWORK is set to, if it is
set?

--
Sean M. Collins