[openstack-dev] [all][release] summit session summary: Release Versioning for Server Applications

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jun 1 16:53:29 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-01 08:53:41 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> pbr generates versions like x.y.z.postN on each commit now, indicating N
> commits since the x.y.z tag. So I think we're OK with version numbers
> without having to do any tagging explicitly.
[...]

Well, technically x.y.(z+1).devN instead. For example, the latest
tag on python-novaclient is 2.25.0 and there have been 8 commits on
master since then, so latest PBR is versioning the tip of master as
2.25.1.dev8.

Since pip treats .postN in strange ways, it's not entirely safe to
rely on the old PBR behavior which would have made this
2.25.0.post8. In particular, if we were to ever upload that to PyPI
(terrible idea I know, bear with me anyway), anyone asking pip to
install python-novaclient==2.25.0 would get the latest 2.25.0.postN
package rather than the actual 2.25.0 package.
--
Jeremy Stanley